Search This Blog

September 20, 2010

CDing at Home made simple

I took the liberty of creating my most organized self for the wonderful two day weekend I just had.  They are sooo rare that I thought I better get some cleanin' done.  So I want to share how I have my changing table organized in case it helps any of you out there use your space wisely.  Don't be fooled by the seemingly pretty appearance; chaos looms behind the camera.

Here I have a pretty normal re-purposed piece of furniture for a changing table.  This table happens to be exceptional as it was my grandparents' and has some really cool features like a sliding top to expand and create a larger surface.  Definately not needed for the purpose, but it does create more space.  You can see I have the right side extended.  On it I have my diaper "stuff caddy" and the pad itself.  I only put this whole gig together about two weeks ago so, before, I had no change table (Sagan is 5 mos. old).  I had to wait until my sister's daughter out grew the pad because I am too cheap to buy a new one.

To the right in the floor is a bucket I got at Lowe's to use as a diaper pail. Most of you have one of these old things lying around from other projects.  This one cost me about two dollars with the lid.  You could also use a kitty litter bucket or just about anything.  You don't need a fancy schmancy diaper pail.  This one is nice because when I put dipes in the wash I just sit the bucket out on the porch to air out and no smell!  I also try to prep the dipes for washing before I put them in there so I am not having to handle two day old poopy dipes when I pour them into the wash machine (like pull out liners, unsnap soaker pads, fold over laundry tabs...).  I just put the pail up-side down over the washing machine spinner thing and push all the dipes out without having to touch a single one!  I don't use a diaper pail liner, though I have one for the daycare.  More on that in future posts...

Here is my "stuff caddy":  

It has cloth wipes on the left side.  In the top right pocket are baby ear swabs, a natural bristle brush, a sweet temporal thermometer, and I think that is some enzyme diaper pail spray for when/if the stink happens.  On the bottom right is my homemade diaper spray, homemade CD safe butt balm, and calendula oil for after bath time.  I used to inter-fold the cloth wipes and keep them in a travel wipes case so that they would pop up each time I pulled one out.  This was awesome, but it doesn't fit in my caddy and takes too much time.  I'm back at work and want to spend all my free time with my Little One (LO). 

Now the fun stuff: fluff!!


I am very nerdy when I am at my best and only a little nerdy when I don't have a lot of time.  So, I organized this (from left to right) by purpose.  These are our everyday diapers that we use at home and on the go.  Doublers are on the far left.  I only use these at night as Sagan only needs them then; they add a lot of bulk.  To the right of the doublers are the soaker pads in order of oldest washed to most recently washed so that I get a good rotation and they don't get worn out. I said I was a REAL nerd, not one of those on TV.  Anyhow, the shells are on the far right. 

I keep the dipes for the daycare stored underneath.  I only colour coordinated them for your viewing pleasure; I would not normally do this.  I am a MAJOR nerd, but not that much of one, though I wish I was.  Down here are the easy ones, dad proof ones, baby sitter, you get the idea.

The first three rows are the pocket dipaers or All In Ones (AIO) that the "surrogate parent" of the hour can just toss in a wet bag as is when they are dirty.  I have light weight blankets on the right for putting in daycare backpack.  On the bottom left are the changing pad covers and those little rubber lap pads.  I put them down in case there is an accidental pee while changing; it makes it easier to clean up.  On the bottom right are wet bags, extra covers, and in the basket...

These are the extra liners for the pockets and my AIO diapers.  I have a few prefolds as well.  Now you have it.  I keep everything together so changing, for anyone doing it, is a breeze.  

The baskets are a great thing to help organize, though I don't suggest spending a lot of money on coordinating ones.  Thrift stores have great finds on these type of things.  These were given to me at my baby shower.  My friend Melissa makes her own liners for them.  I am not that nerdy either, but I would be if I didn't work.  It can be done though and your baskets would look great.  You could also just toss a nice piece of fabric in the basket if you didn't want the basket to pick your stuff. 

Some people have a hanging wet bag on the back of the door for dirty dipes...  Do you have any organizing tips that have helped you in the journey to CD or to cut down on time? 

4 comments:

MsTeacherTeacher said...

Great pictures!

Skippy said...

oh my gosh you are so organized! Our "changing station" is the living room floor and our "diaper storage area" is piles of diapers on the coffee table. I am so impressed!

Rachel Fee-Prince said...

How fun! Super cute blog!

Anne said...

Good post, thanks!